Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hunters and Gatherers

You were the Gatherer:
patient, smart, reliable,
untrusting of the sword or spear,
of any tool beyond your two strong hands.

I was the Hunter:
emotional, spontaneous, eager,
always stalking that make-or-break scenario,
waiting for something big to come along.

You gathered nuggets one by one,
stored them.
It amazed me
how you could pull them out later,
reproduce your findings.
I greedily sucked at the fat
of everything I took down.
You watched complacently
though you knew I was compromising
the coming winter.

I can wound in my faith in sharp points
but you wound with your faith in silence.

Tomorrow, when the storm comes
and I am unable to go out
you will share what you have gathered,
you will share the comfort of your arms.
I will take both without thinking.

Next month, when the snow falls
and hibernation begins
we will share in our hunger
and I will be angry,
unable to accept that it is my fault
and you will be patient, smart, reliable
and suffer with me in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment